To Roost or Not to Roost...that is the question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Minky, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Minky

Minky Songster

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    So...
    My chicken coop is a barn. Its divided into the main barn area and then 2 coops. The one my flock is in, is the smaller coop (maybe 11x 16 or something..) and it has a roost that would be 11 feet (from side to side)..and then beside it is an empty coop that they use to roam in thru the winter-when there is too much snow to go out, they just hang in the whole barn, including all areas.

A month ago, I got a rooster, and separated him in that larger area, putting a roost at the same height (looks like a continuous roost from the other coop.) He stayed there for almost a month, and now is with my flock- however, in the evenings, sometimes I find him roosting on his old side, and not with the ladies. I have done both - make him move and go into the coop, as well as just lock him in the large coop alone.

Any ideas on why he is roosting there, alone? And should I leave him- or make him roost with the flock. I feel like I should make him roost with the flock, since soon I'll be using that side for my meat birds and a small pen of day old layers.

In general, they accepted him without really batting an eyelash... he made whoopie right away with 3 or 4, and there were a couple of hens who did some chest bumping with him, and pecked at him when he tried to get fresh------but I think they were just playing hard to get. ;-) They all seem to adore him now...

Why would he be separating himself like that? Should I have roosts at different levels?
    Much thanks

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It is normal for a rooster to roost closer to the doorway, or in a position that he feels he can defend his hens if necessary, not all roosters do this but many do, so he could feel it's a more dependable position.

Another option is he's just used to sleeping over there. Chickens do like a routine and most roost in the same spot every night.

Leave him or move him, I don't think it matters.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd close off access to the other coop, 'forcing' him to roost with the flock and to break his habit of roosting there in his old 'home' place.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  4. Minky

Minky Songster

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Yes, i think ill do that-and i think ill temporarily remove that roost in the other side (meat birds wont be able to fly up there anyhow LOL

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just removing the roost should do the trick.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: