To roost, or not to roost, that is the question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kateseidel, Jul 18, 2010.

1. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    As a new chicken person, I obsessed about building roosts. I built laddered roosts, I built a natural stick roost, I built roosts with a flat side up and roosts with a narrow side up, I built shelves, and cabinets. And in the end, where do the darn chickens choose to roost?? In the rafters of the coop itself!!

[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

LOL...that's a chicken for you! They look young...a few more months and I bet they won't be able to get their wide, fluffy butts up there any more...

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    [​IMG] Oh that is just too funny!!!!!!!! teach1rusl is right. It won't be long till they are too big to fit. [​IMG]

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Doesn't it make you wonder how they manage to get up their without conking their heads? Chickens aren't the most graceful of birds when it comes to flying, after all!

5. chris10sen

chris10sen Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Well, sure. To a chicken, higher is better. And if as many critters liked to eat you as like to eat chicken, you'd agree!

7. HudsonValleyGirl

HudsonValleyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    My girls have decided to roost on top of their nesting boxes, and now they are getting to big. So one lonely gal has to sit on the roost while the other girls sit on top of thee boxes.

8. LlanoLonghorn

LlanoLonghorn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2009
    Llano, Texas
    The view is much better up there. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Funny Stuff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by