To Roost or Not To Roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kuken, Aug 10, 2010.

1. kuken

kuken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    We have 5 hens 8 weeks old who refuse to roost. They were moved out to the hen house about 3 weeks ago and roosted the first week or so. But since then, they just pile up in the corner of the house. It's very funny to watch everyone trying to get in the best spot. So, my question is; is this something I should try and correct, or is it no big deal? I tried to move them while they were sleeping last night. I got the first couple up with out any problem, but by the time I got to the third they started to wake-up. By the time I got them all on the roost they had woken up and boy did I get an ear full from the girls![​IMG]

Any suggestions?

I should add that they roost during the day.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    No big deal at 8 weeks.

It would make a difference on how accessible to roosts are as well if it's high or if it has ramps. I have 2.5 roosts at different heights. When I put them in the coop for the first time, they would huddle on the bedding first, then when they seemed interested I put them on the roost after dark and let them figure it out on their own. It didn't take long for one to try going up the roost to have the others follow.

Now they are good to get positioned before the lights go out.

Now if I can get them to all get inside the coop together I'll be set. We are almost there.

Edit: are they chirpy as they try to get the good spot on the ground? I saw this behavior early on and i think it was because the coop was too dark to navigate or still not comfortable with the darkness. They would all move together along the walls and wouldn't shut up for a long time.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    my girls only started roosting about that age, but I had a piece of bamboo in there before that and I dont think they liked it, I changed it to a 2 X 2 and they just took to it right away my roost is only about 6" off the floor of the coop and they seem perfectly happy with it, just wait til I tell dh I want to adjust the size of the coop.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by