To separate or not

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jayjay, Mar 22, 2012.

1. jayjay

jayjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Hi all,

I have a pair of Call ducks and a pair of Khaki Campbells. The Khaki is sitting on eggs that are due to hatch in just over a week. At the moment they are all in 1 pen together. Should i separate the drakes and put them into another pen. I have heard that they can kill the ducklings. At the moment they all get along fine although dad is quite protective of mum but i am afraid this will change, not to mention the fact that there is also the other pair in there.

I am very new to this and very excited about the new arrivals. Mum is sitting all the time. I candled the eggs today and was amazed at how they are developing. Please could someone let me know if i should take the drakes out and just leave the ladies and ducklings together. I am getting worried. I am a teacher and the holidays are coming up when the ducklings should hatch. I will be checking on them every day but am afraid i will not be there for the hatching, especially if it happens at night. I love them more than i thought i would. They are certainly well cared for and the children adore them so do not want to take any chances. The children would be devestated, not to mention me.

Thanks

2. jayjay

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Drakes are going mad today, They will not leave the 2 females alone. Think i will take them out and put in another pen before eggs are broken.

3. Good idea -- I'd take them out too -- just for her peace of mind also. Good luck on the ducklings! They are so adorable - I'd not want to risk losing one either . . .

4. jayjay

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    The children are really excited. As it's my first time raising ducklings i'm a bit scared of doing something wrong. Normally the drakes are ok together where they are. Do you think their behaviour will change if they are on their own. For example will they start to fight and injure each other?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by