To small and no ventilation

mbrock

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
Sw Fla
A friend asked me to check his chickens and this is what I found. It's one of those cheap-o coop in a box. They are crowded around the only spot the air moves. It must be bad because they were standing on the backs of each other.

What are you looking for here - confirmation of your assessment, suggestions on how to approach the issue or? Is your friend aware you took and posted photos of his birds/setup for review?

Sorry I wasn't more more clear. He does. Know I asked before I posted them. I'm fairly sure the air movement is the key issues. I have seen people ask about the kit coop before and I just wanted some of the people looking at buy these to take into account the real size, cost, and modifications that they make to make. I have a kit coop and they can work( my started that way and is now maybe about 5% of the kit due changes made) but not as well as advertised. The kits always look better online, setup at the feed store,or in the catalog. There is the price you pay to walk out the door with it. I have found that the hardware is often poor and rusted easy and need replacement. Wood it is easily broken and there is another added repair cost. I made a second door so I can change them with the weather in order to help air flow.
I have seen so many great inexpensive (not cheap) coops and coop ideas here I wanted people just starting out that the kits may not be the best way. I think that most owner do not want to walk out to check there hens and see two standing on the others on order just to get some air. Hopefully this will get some people to think about it long term and not get caught up in the "Dad I want some chickens and they have here and the the house where they live" because at the time helps comes and the shop keeper says " oh yes sir baby chicks, coop and food and you will have eggs in no time". I found that Information here is so important before you start, but also to help with issues such as ventilation in the coop.
My friend is addressing the issue went he returns. I know this a little long and maybe in the wrong place but I feel strongly about it. If some one has some other ideas or if the think that there may a different problem or ways to rectify the problem I will gladly pass them along.

Back
Top Bottom