To small to breed?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by terrilhb, Nov 30, 2011.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have a goat that is Nubian/Boer. We are looking to breed her. To me she is to small. Everyone else says no because the buck we will breed her to is the same size. Here is 2 pictures of her. Sorry she loves to lay down when I am taking her picture. She is 1 yr old. The buck is a Nigerian Pygmy. What do you all think? She stands knee high to me. I am 5'5 I have also never known if and when she goes into heat. If I breed her she will be 16 months old when she has it. We are also thinking of breeding our other doe. She will be 2 in feb. She had a baby in July. I am not trying to over breed. Just not sure when to do it again. She looks fantastic and is in good shape. If we breed her again this year I will n[​IMG]ot breed her the next year. give her a year off. I just don't want to have them carry through the hot georgia summer months. Just looking for some good advice. Thank you all.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    She's darling! She will be fine as long as you pick a small buck like her!

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    He is her size. Thank you. I so love her.

4. Wnunezcruz

Wnunezcruz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    I think it would be ok to breed her to your buck. She looks lik a good size.

5. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    she will be ok. just might need some help kidding , but only because she is a maiden [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by