To steal or not to steal?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mberry222, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mberry222

mberry222 In the Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Kingston, TN
    I have to sebbie goose that has been laying in her first season. I have the first 5 or so in the incubator and a couple have been fertile. She has built a nest in one of the pen and laid a few eggs in there over the past week or so. The problem (maybe) is that she will only sit on them at night. I know that they will lay a certain number before they become broody, but with her sitting on them at night is that a problem? It seems that she would be warming the eggs up and then they would cool down every morning. I would like to let her sit and raise some goslings but I'm not sure if she has the swing of things yet. Would you continue moving the eggs to the incubator or is it alright if she sits on them at night until she gets a full clutch of eggs laid?
    Thanks for your input! [​IMG]

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    She might go broody after she is finished laying...that is how my goose when i had her did...also when she is finished or has lots of eggs, you can always slip those into the incubator.

3. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chirping

Jul 16, 2010
    Mine spent a couple weeks setting at night, abandoning during the day, and now two of them are setting VERY tight.

I won't know how it turns out for a few weeks though ... But yours aren't the only ones to do this.

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I know it is hard to believe but she is not seting on those eggs at night she is just keeping them warm. How can I be so sure? I snuck a remote temerature probe from an outdoor/indoor therometer into a nest. It would go up to a nice 65-70 degrees at night and down to 50 or so during the day. When she went broody it went up to the 90F area (by then she had it part buried in the bottom of the nest) So steal if you must but the fact that she is keeping the eggs warm at night is NOT a good reason.
    What I would like to know is HOW she keeps them from freezing but does NOT bring them to body temperature. Does anyone KNOW or even have a good theory?~gd

5. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chirping

Jul 16, 2010
    I am SO GLAD to hear you say this, GD. I had wondered if that might be the way of it, since we were having VERY cold night but warm days.

As to HOW they might be doing it, I had wondered that too. The eggs had a layer of leaves and hay over them when they were only on the nest at night, and are now uncovered, as far as I can see. Then again, they are constantly adjusting the nest material, so perhaps they uncovered them to sit on them at night too.

I'm just relieved that it's ok. My geese before had protected nests that I couldn't easily see into, and we had warm nights down there, and I didn't put those geese up at night, so I don't THINK they used to do it. But now everything is very visible to me and I lock everyone up at night, so this is my first experience of them doing it.

I even have another goose that decided to build another nest away from the community, but she doesn't keep hers warm at night. It's warmer now though. I hope she will lay a good clutch as well, but she's the lowest-ranking girl and least likely to be fertile too.

Thanks for the info. That is so good to know!

BTW, I also find it interesting that you said it went around 90 when she was broody. Aren't goose eggs normally incubated at a higher temp when it's done artificially? Hmmmmm .....

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Yes but those temps are usually measured in the air around the top of the egg This probe was partly burried in the bottom of the nest and basicaly The heat had to go thru the eggs to get to the probe besides these remote probles aren't all that accurate

7. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chirping

Jul 16, 2010
    Ah, ok.

I'm going to do a little checking if I can get close enough without upsetting them. I have access to a laser digital temp gun that measures very accurately and immediately. Too bad it won't work through the glass window or it would be easy. You've got me curious though. [​IMG]

8. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Good luck I didn't (and still don't) have such nice gear. Report what you find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: