1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To Swim Or Not To Swim?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover2399, Jun 11, 2011.

1. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    So as everyone probaly knows i have the possibly runner ducks or buffs. If you want pics go to the post "mystery ducklings". Anyways back on topic. It rained rally hard last night and it has gotton pretty chilly, and i was wondering if it is ok to let them go swim? Its driveing me nuts! [​IMG] They love going swimming but i dont want it to be too cold. They havent gotten all of their feathers yet. So would it be to cold for them. I have a heat lamp i can put on them after thy swim. And i still dry them off after they swim. Hurry and help me lol. Thanx For The Advice In Advance (lol).

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    how old are they?

my rouens are 3 weeks old and they are free ranging full time now-even at night. They don't have all their feathers in yet but they swim whenever they want to.

3. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Opps yep they are 6 (obo) weeks old. Me personally wouldnt lt 3 week old ducklings free range just yet. they still need a heat lamp. just my experiance tho.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    they don't need a heat lamp in 90 degree weather. they never even had an actual heat lamp. Didn't lose any of them. It is so hot and humid and the nights don't even get down below 70. Even the chicks that just hatched out this week have a 110 watt bulb and they stay as far away as they can from it. That is the thing about raising babies in the dog days of summer.

5. jenny_kap

jenny_kap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Romania
    Quote:mine are one week old and they free range already. and i didn't put them under the lamp at all, since it is warm enough now (it's middle of June!). i have 40 and i didn't loose any. i have another batch of 30 that are one month old and i didn't lose any of those either.

6. truegrit farm

truegrit farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Mine haven't been under a heat lamp since about 10 days old they are now 3.5 weeks old and are outside with a pool everyday in a big fenced in yard area. I do put them in a secure building at nite but they sure don't need heat in Missouri right now. If you are in OK I would think it is even warmer there. At 6 weeks they would be fine to be outside, swimming and no heat source other than this horrid hot humid weather we're having........

7. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    When i posted this it was like 65 degrees out. and there was lot o wind

8. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I have ducklings that took themselves off heat at 2 weeks and haven't needed it since. They swim outside when they want to and don't seem bothered by the colder weather in the slightest - I am in Northern Scotland.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by