To swim or not to swim!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckins, Jan 23, 2013.

1. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    I posted other day about temps getting low this week and the use of heat lamp I did securely mount a 100 watt and it helps take the edge off for my pekin drakes. My next concern is its been 20-28 f during day I have a large kiddie pool frozen and a 3 mon old black swed girl who is having a fit to swim they all have heated water buckets in their run to wash face and eyes. After millions of attempts to swim yesterday I cover the big pool with tarp I don't want her swimming in ice no one else seems to care about swimming but her. Would it be ok to fill her a smaller pool with Luke warm water for a bit of swimming or would that do more damage than good. Btw after I put tarp over pool she tried to peck tarp off it was hilarious. I have found my black Swedish girls tolerate cold better than my Pekins, buffs, or crest but they are still young and not as thick as my Pekins.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would give her a chance to swim, as long as she is in good feather, and can get to a reasonably warm (above freezing) shelter.

3. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    She can go back to her run in there her house is heated thanks she'll be thrilled

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by