To the horse people out there....

E.M. Silkies

Songster
9 Years
Aug 7, 2010
Georgia
Does anyone here get on any horse forums? I have found some that I like and some that I don't. I have an issue with the attitudes that some people get over stupid issues.

Let me back up...

I ride, have always ridden, and will always ride no matter what negative things are said. I grew up riding western and I love it! Always will. But I also enjoy riding english. I love to jump and that obviously requires an english saddle(or bareback!). I have taken a few formal english lessons in the past and thought I might try to find an english instructor to help me with jumping. I have a young warmblood that I thought it would be fun to compete on. However, I have found forums where I thought I could ask questions and get introduced to some different english disciplines, but a lot of the people are plain nasty, and quite frankly, I'm scared to ask too many questions for fear of the responses. There's going to be issues in any type of competitive event--I realize that. But a lot of the english people I've encountered seem to be unfriendly. They don't seem to take too kindly to newcomers. I just want to ride my horse and compete in some open shows for the fun of it. Has anyone else experienced this with trying to break into a new discipline?

No, I haven't found that people are unfriendly. Maybe it's just the people online....
I event, and Eventing is a discipline where I find you will meet very, very many very,very nice people. It's lot's of fun too. I recommend it.

Quote:
Eventing is one thing I've considered. The young warmblood I have now would do well I think. Beautiful movement and he can jump the moon! I would love to at least do some schooling shows with him after he turns five and possibly a horse trial later on. I'm glad to hear about the people in eventing being so nice. I had a sour incident with someone who thought they knew everything about eventing and it left a sour taste in my mouth for the sport. That aside--I think I'd love it! Do you have any suggestions for someone only rides english for fun and has a warmblood with a lot of potential to break into the sport?

E.M. Silkies :

Quote:
Eventing is one thing I've considered. The young warmblood I have now would do well I think. Beautiful movement and he can jump the moon! I would love to at least do some schooling shows with him after he turns five and possibly a horse trial later on. I'm glad to hear about the people in eventing being so nice. I had a sour incident with someone who thought they knew everything about eventing and it left a sour taste in my mouth for the sport. That aside--I think I'd love it! Do you have any suggestions for someone only rides english for fun and has a warmblood with a lot of potential to break into the sport?

My only suggestion would be to take a few dressage and jump lessons to help you along as a pair, then do a few schooling dressage or jump shows. Intro or Beginner novice unrecognized is a good start.
You should be able to compete before 5 years old-- My trainer has a 4 year old she is taking Novice.
smile.png

I wouldn't mind taking him as a four year old except that he's a late bloomer. He's(if you get technical) an Aztec Warmblood. But the QH side had a lot of thoroughbred. He's gorgeous but needs a little more filling out so I'm not embarrassed to take him to a show.
wink.png
Every time he puts on weight, he grows again and consequently looks skinny. Goofy horse, when he finally quits growing he's going to be a monster! But I'm ok with that, I like the tall ones! I have a call in to someone who teaches jumping lessons. I'm hoping to do some starting in Oct. Nitro just recovered from a little injury and he's been off the last six weeks. This is the first full week he's been back in training.
smile.png

Thanks for the suggestions! I have taken two dressage lessons over the last year-I know not much. So maybe I'll look into doing some more! No reason not to try it right!

Yes, horse forums can be really tough. My suggestion would be to forget the horse forums.
tongue.gif
Go to an instructor in whichever discipline you desire to learn more about. No time is lost spent in the saddle. Listen to someone that is actually there in person, not sitting in front of a computer screen telling you about your riding and how to improve you and your horse. Aztecas are incredibly versatile horses, I believe they are the National Horse of Mexico (or national treasure). You will have a ton of fun with him. It has been my experience that Baroque horses mature late and take a little bit more time to grow (both physically and mentally) so it sounds like you are doing right by him too. Good luck and have fun pursuing your new discipline!!
big_smile.png

I just find it really disappointing. I generally do talk to people experienced in the field when I have questions. But I enjoy chatting horses with people, just like I enjoy chatting chickens on this forum! So I just find it a little disappointing that people can't just relax and have a friendly conversation. It truly baffles me how someone can sit at their computer and correct someones riding when they've never seen so much as a picture. I tend to lurk on the horse forums and I only post when I have a direct question. Sorry for the rant!! I'm am glad though that I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

Thank you Quinn for neighbor so friendly!! Your the nicest eventer I've ever talked to and I really do appreciate it!

Problem with an online community is that "everyone is an expert." Because the forum isn't face to face, a lot of people tend to act more experienced than they are and can get preachy, annoying or self-righteous. There's even a few horse people here on BYC like that (not mentioning any names but those who follow horse threads know who I'm talking about).

Best bet as others are saying, take lessons for what you want to do, make friends among that community. Most disciplines based on a REAL performance like dressage, jumping, eventing, endurance, reining, working cow events etc... (the objective events) the people are exceedingly friendly and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom