To those that have birds with MG

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bristow, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Bristow

Bristow Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2014
    I posted on here a few days ago about how MG just appeared in my established flock. I don't know how it got there or if I unknowingly got a carrier. I'm currently conversing with a few vets and deciding what I'm going to do (euthanize all or keep them).

If anyone out there is keeping a flock with MG or has the same problem I do I'd like to have any and all input you may have. Anyone can also privately message me if they want to remain anonymous.

2. sgraff

sgraff Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Rutledge, GA
    Hello. I am trying to diagnose my new chicks respitory distress now. I have a flock of all types of poultry and just recently got new chicks. They became symptomatic quickly and 5 of the 9 showed Symptoms. I Started everyone on antibiotics and of course isolated the chicks from the others. i have been researching as much as I can and now have a few Questions
    1. How long until I know if the chicks that didn't show signs are possible carriers of mg
    2.How long until I am certain the other flock was not effected after the cycle of antibiotics. .
    3. Are there flocks of mg positive chickens that may want these so I do not have to cull them.

I am researching now how to get them tested for a definitive diagnosis.
    Thanks!

3. Bristow

Oct 24, 2014
    I've maintained a mixed flock of 20 or so birds now for almost a year with no signs of disease. All purchased from local breeders. About 3 months ago I purchased some silkie and barred rock pullets, they stayed in my house for 30 days and then in a private coop for 30 days and then put with the free ranging flock.

About 2 weeks ago a dog mosied over and had a go at all my birds, killing most and taking many tail feathers off the others. A few days after I heard some sneezing and then one bird went into full respiratory distress and later died. That hen I took to a diagnostic lab and while I awaited results if started the remaining 8 birds on tylan. The results came back as mycoplasma. So now what, cull or keep?

About 8 of every 10 have told me to cull the whole flock and start over. And other have said to close the flock and manage it. Here's the thing, many have told me (including veterinarians) that this is common in about 90% of birds and can be carried silently. It is also carried by wild birds. I have no idea how my birds got it, and even though I quarantined i might have still had a carrier and stress just made the birds break with it.

I've also been told that they can live as a closed flock but will have to have preventative care and will always have the potential to infect other birds and and new birds you ad will most likely become infected also. Did the chicks come into contact with the established flock?
    Mine responded well to antibiotics and I only had the one to die from it. You can have blood tests done and swabs done by veterinarian to help determine exactly what you are dealing with. If you for sure want to be rid of it you would have to deal with it as a whole especially if the birdies that were sick had contact with the rest. I'm not sure if anyone would knowingly take a flock infected though

4. Bristow

Oct 24, 2014
    Also some birds may never show signs and still carry it, I also read the even NPIP birds may still carry it.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Many NPIP tested birds aren't tested for MG and MS.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  6. sgraff

Feb 24, 2014
    Rutledge, GA
    Bristow, the chick were housed next to my flock but did not come in direct Contact. It is not very reassuring but I have my fingers crossed.

I have also heard closed flock or adopting mg positive birds only. It may have been the stress of the dog that triggered a dormant problem. It may be That the dog carried it in.

It is so hard to make a decision right now until I have a few more answers I haven't been able to find and of course, a diagnosis.

7. sgraff

Feb 24, 2014
    Rutledge, GA
    Oh also, I haven't had any losses but did b have to syringe water a few chicks for a day to make sure they were drinking. The recover was within 24 hrs with antibiotics.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I am no expert, but if the antibiotic you used was Tylan, there is a pretty darn good chance it is mycoplasma. Contact your State vet about testing.

-Kathy

9. Bristow

Oct 24, 2014
    sgraff,

I know it's tough! I'm still on the fence about what to do, the more veterinarians I talk to I actually become a little more optimistic. They tell me that this is so common and it's so common that people have them and will never know and that the odds are definitely in my favor that new birds on my place will get it. I guess it's just a judgement call? My birds never leave my place, nor are they in close proximity to any others (none of my neighbors have chickens), and I don't go to swaps it shows. If I choose to get more I will have them shipped in and vaccinated.

10. Bristow

Oct 24, 2014
    Kathy,
    Thanks for the websites. I will look at those. I've looked at sending samples to some labs but it's about $50+ a pop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by