To those who regularly use homemade incubators

happyhens

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
KY
What is your average hatch rate and what type of thermostat do you use? I hatched 32 chicks out of 36 eggs in my Hovabator, then 29 out of 32. Now I am wanting another incubator, and I'm wondering if its worth it to make my own, if they really work well or if I just need to start saving for another Hovabator. What would you do?

My first try (just a couple weeks ago) ended with 38% - but that was shipped eggs & I had a real issue with humidity during lock down.

I am going to set try number 2 in a few days - I have improved my bator so humidity is not an issue any longer.

These will also be my own eggs - not shipped - lets hope my silkie rooster has been snuggling with the buff orps! Cuz he is the only rooster I have left.

I have the wafer in my hova bator in my 2 homebuilts I used a water heater t-stat for a while rebel cowboy has some really good ideas for making them work the link I provided is what I use on my homebuilts at this point it is what I use at work for controlling walk in freezers and coolers and such

when hatching my own non shipped eggs I hatch 9 out of 10 constantly when hatching shipped eggs I do not do nearly this well more like 50%

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-A419ABC-1C-Electronic-Controller/dp/B0026NDC5O

Mine is a homemade bator made out of a 3 dollar styrofoam chest, 25 light bulb on a lamp dimmer cord, and a radio shack computer fan. My first hatch was 3 eggs,2 hatched one wasnt fertile ,my second hatch, 7 eggs all hatched,one died shortly after hatch. Im on my third hatch due in 4 days, just candled all 8 and all 8 good. I am home all day so I can tend to em often.

my first try got 11 out of 60 eggs...!!!

but that was because my fans gave out, and the turner broke... and a bunch of them weren't even fertile... my pullets are very young... but i rebuilt it and tonight i'm going to set another 50 eggs or so... wish me luck...

Quote:
Hey, I have an extra dimmer, maybe I could use that instead of a the hot water heater thermostat if I do decide to build one. Do you have to keep adjusting and playing with the dimmer, or once you get it set does it stay pretty steady? Thanks everyone for the replies, looking forward to hearing more about this
smile.png

First and only attempt was using Fertile eggs from Trader Joe's, which are washed and shipped. Out of 24, 22 were fertile, 12 hatched. Temps were up and down at times. Next use, I'll rearrange the light/thermostat, to get a more stable temp. Also going to put it in a hall closet next time, for steady temps.
I was pretty pleased with the results for first time. I may try again in about a month when these chicks are out of the brooder, we have 3 pullets laying all fertilized eggs.
Thermostat is an electric water heater type, and yes, rebel cowboy does a great job of explaining how to synch the light/thermostat.

Back
Top Bottom