To those with stainless steel appliances

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by silkiechicken, Aug 3, 2008.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

So how do you clean and re polish these appliances? So far I read to just use soap water, rince well, and use WD 40 to polish? What are everyone elses methods? What about fixing up lighter spots that have been damaged previously by abrasive cleaners which seemed to have stripped the top coating. Thanks!

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Barkeeper's Friend. Don't bother with anything else! And if you have stainless pots and pans, this stuff is a lifesaver! Get the liquid stuff instead of the powder. It's a lot easier to work with.

[​IMG]

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Pledge works good on ours....

4. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Sheila shine is the best stuff for cleaning any stainless steel appliances. it will look like new. helps hide finger prints and keeps the metal lubricated. lots of places sell stainless steel appliance cleaner and I would stick to them. do not use any water, ammonia based products like Windex or spray cleaner like that.

5. Sparklecoon

Sparklecoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I used to work in a resteraunt and we used Sheila Shine once a week to clean all the fryer grease off our stainless walls. It works miracles.

On a side note I just bought a new fridge made with "Cleansteel". Not real stainless but looks like it and leaves no smudges or prints.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  7. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I use Bar Keepers friend as well. I like the powder for the really tough grime though as the liquid kind just didn't seem to scrub as well. I only use stainless steel cookware as well and it keeps it shiny and new looking. If something gets burned on the botton of the pans (husband cooks too high in it) them the powder Bar Keepers Friend cuts that off too.

8. LovinMyChickies

LovinMyChickies Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Redding, California
    Windex.

That's what Martha Stewart recommends. It works great.

9. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Another vote for Barkeeper's Friend, that stuff is great. I've used it for years, on the cooktop, SS appliances, whatever. It doesn't scratch and removes rust, grease, as a matter of fact I haven't found anything it didn't clean well.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  10. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Is Barkeepers Friend readily available at local stores? I HATE our stainless stell stove because it always looks dirty to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by