1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To throw out or keep on a few days?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GreenRunner, Nov 1, 2015.

1. GreenRunner

GreenRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    London
    I set 12 silkie eggs down a week ago that I bought at an auction; two different lots - one was six white silkies, the other was six mixed colours. I've candled today and three are definitely fertile. The veining is clear and they seem to be progressing well.

The other nine look clear. :\ Do you think I should wait a few more days before throwing them out? Could the embryo be hidden? Or should I just cut my losses.

Very disappointing. Looking forward to next year when I can actually start to set eggs from my own birds.

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I always wait till day 10. Can be no doubt what is and isn't working by then and it's still early enough you don't have to worry about them going rotten.

3. GreenRunner

GreenRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    London
    Thanks! I'll give them a few more days then and cross my fingers; I don't expect them all to miraculously change but it would be nice to find a few more that are fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by