To treat or not to treat..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Badhbh, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    So.. some background..
    I've been dealing with an MG breakout for several months now. I've tried gallimycin and Tylan. Some get better, some get better and then ill again. In my searching and searching for a cure, it's come to my attention that the best thing to do may be nothing at all.

Now, I'm not one to stand by and let my girls die, so this is hard for me. But the reasoning is sound. The reasoning is that any birds that recover are stronger for it. The ones that i treat and then relapse are the weaker birds, and thus not the best ones to have in my flock. The survivors are tougher.

The hard part is watching them get sick, and hoping that they recover. Some are, and luckily none have died since stopping all meds. But there are now only 2 that are showing any symptoms, as opposed to the 20 that were at the time i was treating.

Discuss.

2. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    What is an MG breakout?

3. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
  4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Caveat: I know nothing about chicken diseases, and I am just writing to give moral support and my opinion.

It seems to me that you have done your best, and perhaps it is time to let this thing run its course.

Perhaps most will have developed a bit of an immunity, and will come out of this well.

The longer I have my chickens (all 10 months now) the less inclined I am to intervene too aggressively when they get ill. Although I managed to save two chickens from different illnesses, one recurred several times and the chicken had to be culled and the second chicken is not as healthy as she could be, so I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by