To treat, or not to treat...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AinaWGSD, Jul 16, 2011.

1. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I think I already know the answer to this question, but I thought I'd get some opinions from those more experienced than I. This morning I brought a group fecal in and did a fecal float on it. It was more or less negative, except for a few coccidia. I was not surprised, but that leads me to wonder where to go next. In any other animal I've dealt with (dogs, cats, lizards, etc) we would treat even if we saw only one coccidia oocyst on a fecal. But is it really worth treating my chickens when no one is showing any symptoms (the stools are normal, I just wanted to spot check a fecal as I plan to do this every few months and only worm if necessary) and they free range in my back yard which is already infected as there is absolutely no way for me to pick up all of the chicken poop? I do pick up poop every day or every few days, including the chicken poop, so I'm not too worried about them getting a heavy infestation unless their immune system goes down for some reason. Right now I'm leaning towards not treating, but like I said I'd like to get some other opinions.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with you not treating. Randomly test a few samples at your convenience and if you have a slide that's loaded with cocci oocysts, then you'll know there's a problem and should treat them all with corid. It's normal to see a few on a slide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by