To trust my rooster or to not trust my rooster...

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I have this barred rock rooster, I love the big guy, he's 16 weeks old and recently was released into the wonderful world of free ranging. I noticed he seems a bit more calm when he free ranges, back when he was in his run he would not tolerate getting even close to me but as a free range animal he will walk right on by, even eating lettuce out of my hand. Well, I was laying in the grass yesterday relaxing and I turned over and there is my rooster in full sprint headed right towards me, I jumped up startled as could be but he stopped and went back to doing his thing. I have been attacked by my friends rooster and I have the scars on my leg to show how bad it sucks.

So my question is: When can you trust your rooster fully, if ever? Are there ways to tell if your rooster is going to be friendly or dangerous? I just don't want to make the mistake of getting too used to him and potentially having him jam his spurs into me or my friends/family. are there measures I can take to let my rooster know who runs the show? Mutual respect would be nice.

There are breeds that are so docile they would never attack anyone.

There are breeds that have been selected for gentleness toward humans for centuries (Games and Orientals).

There are breeds that have never been selected for gentleness toward humans (old farm breeds).

Among the old farm breeds you will encounter roosters that are as mean as snakes and those that just don't care about humans. If he is already starting to attack you then that is probably the way it is going to be.

However, different people define 'attack' differently. If he is guarding hens: expect it, that doesn't mean he's mean. If you raise a leg toward him: expect it, he thinks you want to fight. These are not what I would define as mean. Some of my most gentle cocks bite me each day: sometimes drawing blood. They are not mean and never attack. I always figured they were just saying hello.

If a cock attacks for no reason or when you feed him on a continuous basis: then he's a manfighter and should be culled. You cannot break him. Kill him.

Back
Top Bottom