To Trust Or Not To Trust??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Happycowdog, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Happycowdog

Happycowdog In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    I met someone at our local animal swap on Saturday. I am ready for my first chicks...ever! I am so exited! I contacted a hatchery about 3 hours from here as I would like to have 4 standard Brahma hens. they only deal with one color too. They cannot ship until two weeks from now and it was rather expensive for shipping.

I called the guy from the animal swap and he said he had two week old buffs. I was hesitant, because I wanted to raise them from a day or so old so I would "imprint" on them! [​IMG] Anyway, I called again today and he told me he would have a bunch tomorrow two days old! I was exited![​IMG] I asked him what color they were (I prefer buff, but I would also like the other colors too.) He asked me what colors because he had them all. I said one of each! He said he got the chicks from the hatchery and he has some guy picking up 200! I was like okay...anyway, he said he contracts with a hatchery and he is like the "middle man."

When I saw him at the swap, his chickens were dirty and some had been pecked like crazy which is probably normal in that situation?[​IMG]

I don't know why my gut is telling me not to trust so soon; that I am too eager in this situation. Should I trust myself, or trust him and go with more of an "expert" unlike me? I don't want to end up with something other than a Brahma! Although they would get just as much love from me....[​IMG]

I researched and I know what I want! What is your opinion? These are my first chicks and I don't want to screw up!

2. mrkpero

mrkpero Songster

Sep 26, 2008
    Just my opinion, but I think you should trust your gut. I know with shipping it would probably be more $ but it might be worth it. I would never buy dirty, picked chickens. I would be afraid of introducing something into my coop & run that would cost me more $ in the long run run to eradicate. Can you possibly see where/how he keeps the chicks at his home first? Maybe that would ease your mind. Good luck to you whatever your decision.

3. Happycowdog

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    The Meyer Hatchery is where I wanted to go intitially. I would love to go with them as I trust them more, they seem cleaner, and they have that great rep! I wish there was a hatchery like that close by. I will look at this guys chicks and give it a chance. Otherwise, I may be taking a two to three hour drive Saturday out to Meyer.

4. If you ask me, There's not much excuse for really dirty pecked chickens, They probably had lice or mites, and/or not enough space to stay clean. Go for the hatchery! Then you won't be second guessing yourself as you'd have listened to your gut. If you don't like the way he treats his chickens, you shouldn't support his business.

5. Happycowdog

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    Thank you...he called this morning and informed me that he had sold out. I am at a loss. I live in the country and not one person living within a 1 hour radius has any brahmas. I will take my chick feed and shavings back to Tractor Supply. I need to save gas money and the $31 shipping. I am layed off and funds are tight right now. I may wait until they fall into my lap instead of wasting time searching....I didn't know brahmas were so hard to come by! [​IMG]

6. Ema

Ema Songster

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    you know what maybe its just me but I've never heard of a hatchery middle man!!! hatcheries sell their chicks right from there or on their websites...dirty pecked chickens is a sign of over crowding and improper care. Go with a hatchery!!! I had the chance of buying day old babies and some 20 week olds froma lady down the street and then I walked through her coops etc...she is over crowded and her chickens are filthy....missing feathers and sores all over them. I reported the issue, but chances are it got overlooked because she is so well known in this village [​IMG] anyhow, whenmine arrived from the hatchery they were 2 days old, so adorable and not afraid of me at all, they see my hand they run to it and can't wait to see what I got in it. they follow me everywhere too. they are now 4 weeks old....

7. Ema

Ema Songster

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:See if any of your local neighbours might be interested in getting chicks aswell, and then if you can find one or two you can split the shipping fees. that is what I did and I saved money that way, we also split on the first bags of feed and shavings..good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by