To Vaccinate or Not... (Marek's)

mksauce23

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 4, 2013
Kentucky
I have an existing small backyard flock that I've gotten from several feed stores over the years (Tractor Supply, Orschlen's, etc.) and I'm looking to purchase more chickens online from a hatchery. At checkout they ask if I want to vaccinate for Marek's...

After some research online I read that it's a live virus that will shed onto unvaccinated chickens, so I obviously do not want to vaccinate if my others have never been vaccinated. And the opposite, if my others were vaccinated, I need to vaccinate.

Do feed stores typically carry MD vaccinated chicks, or typically not? I doubt I can even verify because these are multiple feed stores over the greater part of a decade...

Feed stores do not generally carry vaccinated chicks. My parents' first batch (14 straight-run Production Reds) from TSC lost three cockerels to Marek's before they matured. Not that any of us knew what it was at the time.

You have it a bit backwards. The Marek's virus they vaccinate chickens with is actually Turkey Marek's. That Turkey Marek's vaccination does not prevent the chickens from getting Marek's but it does stop them from developing the lesions that cause the problems. It is possible they can still get chicken Marek's and be a carrier but they will not show the effects.

Since it is a Turkey Marek's virus they unfortunately will not shed it and give it to other chickens. Whether or not you vaccinate the new chicks will not have any effect on your current chickens and Marek's. The vaccination will only protect the ones that are vaccinated.

I have an existing small backyard flock that I've gotten from several feed stores over the years (Tractor Supply, Orschlen's, etc.) and I'm looking to purchase more chickens online from a hatchery. At checkout they ask if I want to vaccinate for Marek's...

After some research online I read that it's a live virus that will shed onto unvaccinated chickens, so I obviously do not want to vaccinate if my others have never been vaccinated. And the opposite, if my others were vaccinated, I need to vaccinate.

Do feed stores typically carry MD vaccinated chicks, or typically not? I doubt I can even verify because these are multiple feed stores over the greater part of a decade...

you should be able to find out if mereks is a problem in Kentucky. they SAY every chicken in CA has been exposed. i got that information from UC Davis....so hatcheries vaccinate chicks coming here. altho they are vaccinated, like someone said they can still get it...when i lose a hen i send it to UC Davis for a necropsy and several times ones i got from hatcheries had mereks and died of something else...it weakens their systems and makes them ore vulnerable. According to UC Davis the vaccinated ones can't transmit....but if already in the soil then they are still exposed. i always buy vaccinated and i always vaccinate the ones i hatch. i like to do everything i can do to prevent and thats all any of us can do really!

When I order chicks from a hatchery, I have them vaccinated against Marek's disease. Birds hatched here aren't vaccinated, so I always have some of each. So far I haven't had a Marek's disease outbreak here, and I'd know because of my unvaccinated birds.
:weeMary

Pretty sure feed store chicks aren't usually vaccinated, sadly.

Even if the rest of your flock isn't vaccinated against Marek's, it doesn't hurt to go ahead and have it done on any new additions just so they won't be affected as heavily in case of a future outbreak. Yes, they will still carry the disease, but there's nothing to lose in the process. :)

My own flock (some of whom have been vaccinated, others have not) is riddled with Marek's. Thankfully, most aren't showing signs right now.....even those who weren't administered the vaccine as chicks. And surprisingly, the majority of those who've died WERE vaccinated. Like I said, there's really no reason NOT to go ahead with it, as long as you understand they can still contract Marek's.

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom