To vaccinate or not to vaccinate, that is the question...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Should I have my chicks vaccinated? I have the option to have them vaccinated against Mareks and Cocci.

2. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    you should get them vaccinated for at least mereks if one chicken gets it they most likely all will. i dont know if you have other chickens or not but they could all catch it too if just one has it.

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I do have 12 other full grown ones. I will vaccinate them against mareks, then.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    My thought on vaccinations is "prevention is better than cure". I don't like medicating unless needed, but vaccinations are good. Mareks and coccidiosis are terrible diseases and if I can prevent it from wiping out my flock I'd take it!

5. farmlife

farmlife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Ocala Florida
    I have a chicken who does not sleep in the coop. She goes up in a tree by herself. How would I catch her to vaccinate?

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Go up the tree and get her down. And when you're done put her in the coop. A tree is no place for a chicken at night. I learned that lesson the hard way!

7. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    You can't vaccinate against marek's if the birds have been outside, and you can't vaccinate older birds. When vaccinating against marek's, it's done before the birds have had any chance (at all) of exposure to the virus.
    Since the virus is carried in dander (shed skin/fluff) and dust, it's almost impossible to guarantee that they haven't been exposed unless strong biosecurity protects the hatching area and the birds are newly out of the eggs.

It's a terrible disease, no doubt about that. I believe exposing birds to wild milder marek's strains (from the natural environment -- other birds etc) gives immunity, and I've never vaccinated (or had marek's appear except, possibly, in a vaccinated bird -- it's possible for the disease to show up even if a bird is vaccinated). Then again I don't take my birds to shows, and I don't keep purebreds (some of which may be more susceptible). I keep reasonable biosecurity, at least from other chickens.

Marek's is dreadful but well worth doing a thorough google on before deciding whether to vaccinate or not. Most backyard flocks here in Australian aren't vaccinated. Indeed if I'm looking for new birds, I stay away from any that are vaccinated -- it's a useful indication that the flock has been exposed to the lethal form of marek's and didn't have innate resistance or a strong enough immune system to survive.

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth,
    Erica

8. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am going to vaccinate the chicks, I think the 12 I have were at hatch too.

9. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm... You've got me rethinking vaccinations, Erica.

10. critterwhisper

critterwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    My girls were vacinated for mereks before they were shipped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by