to vaccinate or not

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kim10261, Sep 24, 2014.

1. kim10261

kim10261 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2014
    I have six 5 month old chickens 3 hens and 3 roosters that I bought from tractor supply,I do not know if they were vaccinated or not,I am going to assume...they were because when I asked what food to feed them she took me to the unmedicated feed,my question..I am mail ordering 15 baby chicks should I have them vaccinated or not..pros and cons..I am confused...I am a 1st timer and just want to do what is best for my chickies

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tractor Supply does not sell vaccinated chicks. I always pay extra for the Mareks vaccine with chicks from a hatchery, just because it is a terrible disease. The coccidiosis vaccine was not available to mine, but it would be a good thing. Cocci is fairly common in chicks up to 20 weeks old, but I have never had an outbreak. Corid or amprollium is a good thing to keep on the shelf for a breakout for cocci. I have chicks vaccinated for Mareks, and some not vaccinated. It can be on your property in the soil, so it is definitely worth the cost.

3. kim10261

kim10261 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2014
    thank you I will have them vaccinated then. I am ordering through Ideal and they do not offer a vaccine for cocci just mareks.I was just concerned if the chickens I have now were not vaccinated that having my new ones vaccinated would harm my existing chickies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by