To wash or not to wash....eggs.

undergroundchickens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Utah
Now that I have a pullet laying an egg a day I will have 5 eggs tomorrow (fingers crossed) and was thinking about trying out my first fresh eggs from my backyard (I have never had anything other than white store bought eggs). So far my 4 eggs have been impeccably clean on the outside. My girl lays them in pine shavings. Do I need to wash the eggs before cracking? I would guess not but I swear I have heard you are supposed to wash them before use. If so what is the best way to go about washing them? Thanks in advance.

I also had to add that I am very impressed that my backyard chicken eggs don't stink through the shell like my "fresh" store bought eggs do. Awesome.
bun.gif

You definitely do NOT need to wash them before eating. Your eggs have a natural protein coating called the "bloom" that protects the contents from bacterial invasion. Washing off the bloom leaves them vulnerable to bacteria. If you have one that has smudges, just wipe gently with a warm, moist rag.

Enjoy your first home grown eggs!!!
smile.png

I dont know...I'm torn on what to do too...
Right now i dont wash because i'm afraid of washing off the protective bloom...

I don't wash eggs. Ever. If it needs to be washed, I give it to the cat. Poor kitty, never gets many eggs.
big_smile.png

Well, I'm fairly new to the world of chickens, but I have gotten over 350 eggs in the 3 months I've had a flock and I've rinsed each egg that was going to be eaten (some went into the bator) under cool water and dried it with a paper towel. I've never had a problem with bad eggs or anything else, so that's probably what I'll continue doing. There was another thread about this and someone stated that an unwashed egg on the counter is good for 30 day while a washed egg in the fridge could last 60 days. I'll see if I can find it...

Ok, this isn't the exact thread I was looking for, but it should help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=369054

Last edited:
Last edited:
Quote:
I've heard that un-washed last longer... in the fridge.
But i'm no expert...lol..
I'm still undecided on the best thing to do myself....

I do not wash my eggs either. If there is dirt, I wipe it off with a warm paper towel. Once in a blue moon I will need to wash it under WARM water. Cold water pushes bacteria into the shell. JMHO

Jen

Back
Top Bottom