To wash or not to wash (eggs)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epeloquin, Jul 30, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    As I understand it, when a hen lays an egg her body secretes a coating onto the shell that seals it and as long as it isn't washed off it keeps the egg fresh for several weeks even at room temp.

Obviously, if someone is going to sell eggs they will wash them.

But, just in general, do you wash your eggs or not?

2. bobbyc1970

bobbyc1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Bristow Oklahoma
    for hatching never wash eggs.

3. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    That is a Big question! I do, but I also keep selling the eggs. In the spring I did chose several doz to incubate and did not wash those.

4. We absolutely do not wash ours (the ones we eat). If I give any away I will lightly wash only the really bad ones and tell that person that they only get two weeks max in the fridge,

5. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    We don't wash ours, even the ones we sell - we only sell to a few people and they know to wash them.

6. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    If we wash at all, it is generally just before cracking. Anybody gifted with our eggs who want washed gets to go to the store & buy!

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    In everything I have read, you can rinse them if they have poop stuck to them, otherwise you remove the bloom...and they spoil faster. You can instruct your buyers if they wish to wash before using that is fine, otherwise no...

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Never wash, selling or using for own consumption, and rarely refrigerate, if at all. I will use a damp cloth to wipe smudged eggs and really bad ones are recycled to the flock or the dogs, whomever gets to them first.

9. CandiceN

CandiceN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    NH
    We have been washing them and putting them right in the fridge, but we just started getting eggs last week so I'm a total newbie at this stuff. I think I'm going to keep putting them in the fridge right away, but leave the bloom on. I'm pretty sure my hubby won't eat eggs he's seen sitting on the counter, even if I show him all the proof that they are fine for weeks that way, lol [​IMG]

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

To me it doesn't matter. 100% of the hatcheries wash their eggs and their hatch rates are stupendous, hatching millions and millions of chicks.

We have picky customers who want spotless eggs for the dollars we charge. Fine, they get eggs hand rubbed-rinsed under very hot water. Since we seldom have eggs more than a day or two, it doesn't matter.

For our own use, we don't bother, if they are clean enough from the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by