To Wash Or Not To Wash That Is The Question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Adopted Chickenman, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Adopted Chickenman

Adopted Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Rogers
    [​IMG] I am rather new to this hobby of back yard chicken raising. Acouple of my 20 week old pullets (9 Aug) just started laying. At present, my wife and I have collected five eggs weighing from 38 to 56 grams. We are pretty sure that most of them are from our BO. We do know she was the first because we watched her go into her coop while the other four were still free ranging. She entered at 15:00 and emerged again at 15:25. I immediately checked the nesting box and there she was, our first egg! Two days later, she layed another one. This egg was the largest of them all plus it was a double yoke!! Anyway, my question is, since all of our eggs have been collected clean as a whistle, just no dirt or any other add ons, do we have to wash them prior to placing them in the frige? I realize the other thing the vent is used for, but I am not sure of the process after the egg is layed. [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Totally up to you. I don't wash mine until I'm ready to use them. The exception would be if there was a smear of blood or poo or other obvious dirt, then I just dampen a sponge and wipe it off. [​IMG] I've read that you don't want to wash the natural coating from the egg, as it provides a shield to outside bacteria. But if you use your eggs within a few days, I don't think it would matter.

ETA: Oh - and CONGRATS on our new egg layer!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by