To wash or not to wash

thumbless
Should I wash my eggs before putting them in the bator and should the bator be up to temp when I place the eggs.

I do if they are really dirt, and yes ur' bator should be running for a few days before place hatching eggs in to make sure the bator is running at the right temp. -n- humidity .

Alan​

Heavily soiled eggs should not be set. Typically, only clean eggs should be set so washing is not necessary. Hatching eggs should not be washed, as that can destroy the bloom, which is a protective coating on the shell that keeps bacteria out.

Yes, incubator should be running at the correct and constant temp/humidity for at least a day before setting eggs.

If I get in shipped eggs that are dripping wet from a broken egg in the package or covered in poop, I wash them. I was marking them with a pencil, not expecting them to develop. Much to my surprise, at least 50% of my washed eggs do hatch!

I went ahead and washed I'm just want to try the bator out if I get one of the ten to hatch great if not I tried.

I've set and hatched many washed eggs. The bloom gets rubbed off by mamma hen's belly when she sets on them and turns them, and my bator is a lot cleaner than the hen's nest. So I don't worry about that at all. If they're dirty, I wash them. BUT, if they're really filthy, like covered with mud and poo, I won't set them. I'll just choose cleaner eggs. (usually drier weather)

If you have a rare bird, though, and are desperate to hatch every egg you can, I'd suggest washing even the icky ones, and dip them in a 10% bleach solution, or a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution, diluted by half, (so it's really only 6%).

Commercial hatcheries wash and/or sanitize eggs before they incubate them. they would not do that if it prevented them from hatching.

Last edited:
After a nasty experience with bacteria infested purchased eggs, I'm now washing all eggs in warm water 1 gallon to 1 TB of bleach. I'm buying Oxine ASAP, so I'll then switch to that. I only do 4 at a time, and GENTLY wipe off any dirt or debris. My first washed eggs are due to hatch next Friday and they are developing well. I had some eggs that scrambled in shipping and 4 empty eggs, but my girls are pullets and I expected that on the first few batches.

I've seen a lot of anti-washing threads on here but from my experience it don't matter. If I wash them or not I get about 70% hatch. I have also set only clean eggs an other times lots of nasty eggs, still about 70% hatch rate. I think the main thing is to wash the incubator, dirty or not between every incubation period. Bacteria takes time to grow an is everywhere. I do smell the dirty eggs a lot.

Back
Top Bottom