To wash or Not To Wash??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mossfamilyfarm, May 28, 2010.

1. mossfamilyfarm

mossfamilyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Greenville, IL
    Ok... So my sister-in-law gave me these goose eggs because they keep getting robbed from the poor mother's nest. I want to go ahead and incubate them but I know that it is best not to wash the eggs before putting them in the bator. But these eggs are DIRTY!!! So I was wondering if washing them would be a good idea, and what is the best, least invasive way of cleaning these eggs?? Also, I have never incubated goose eggs, just turkey eggs, so if anyone has any pointers please feel free to add them as well...
    Thanks!!

Oh... A picture might help, too, lol

[​IMG]

Ok... lets hope I did that Right...[​IMG]

2. I would just put them in... But I am not sure

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    see, I'm the opposite. since they are soo dirty, I'd wash them in cool water (if you use warm, it could suck the dirty bacteria inside). the other option is light sand paper to get off the major dirt.

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

They are very dirty and should get washed. Remember the dirt will incubate and grow in the incubator. From there it can make it into the eggs and make them explode. Trust me you don't want that to happen. I usually use soaking wet paper towels best in the same temp as the egg or slightly warmer. Then I wrap the egg into it for 30 seconds, and then just gently wipe the dirt off. Try not to rub and do not move the egg too much either. You are also trying to protect the natural film on the egg. Sanding can damage the film, so I personally stay away from it. The goal is not to get it absolutely clean, but to get the worst off. You can always mix some betadine into the water, this will disinfect the eggs somewhat. Many zoo's use this method. Do not soak the eggs to long in water, they need to breath. Also remember to increase the humidity in the incubator by 10% on eggs that have been washed.
    Good luck,
    Katharina

5. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    The 2 really dirty ones I dunno.I've hatched a few pretty brown dirty duck egg's.I have hatched Hundreds of ducklings here.Ducks and geese are just plain messy and I don't know of anyone that has prisitine clean egg's.I would not wash them or put them in water.If there is loose dirt gently wipe it off with a warm moist cloth or paper towel.Keep a check on them.I never candle duck egg's or water fowl before about half way through incubation and dont mess with them much due to humidity issue's and that was when I had my Sportsman.I actualy had a good hatch in a LG on 3 fertile goose egg's over the Sportsman.I think the fan dried my few I did get fertile from my Toulouse out too much.At 12 days you should be able to tell if the egg's are good if not just remove them.Just my experience here.I Hope you can get them to hatch please update Us.

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I wash my duck eggs with vinegar water. A small dish of vinegar and roll the egg in it gently. Then cover with paper towel, new towel for each egg and blot. I do this for eating eggs but I would try it were I trying to hatch dirty duck eggs. I have Ducks that hatch our duck eggs and the last ones they hatched were dirty. BUT, they know how to take care of them and an incubator is their artificial? replacement.

I would do like Katharind says but use vinegar instead of water. It is amazing how much cleaner, easier they get with vinegar than water.

Remember vinegar is a natural disinfectant as well as cleaner.

I have used a touch of vinegar on hen eggs that I have incubated and all went fine.

Oh when using water to clean eggs, use as warm as the egg is or slightly warmer to keep germies out. And if in doubt use vinegar and have at least a 85% hatch rate.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Wont vinegar take off the bloom?

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I can't tell you what to do, but my hatch rates went up by about 10% when I stopped washing my eggs. And duck eggs can be filthy. I try to set only the cleanest eggs, but sometimes some very very dirty eggs get in there, and they do just fine. If you *do* wash them, make sure it is *warm* or room temp water--not cold water. Cold water causes the liquids inside the egg to shrink and draw air, moisture, and bacteria into the egg from outside.

Good luck! I've never hatched goose eggs, but I hope to get a chance to try soon. I just adopted a goose and I'm very excited about it. [​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    If you think about it... in the wild i bet that wild duck and goose eggs are real filthy.. and they hatch just fine... [​IMG]

10. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    I'd totally wash those, but with a damp towl or something. Hope it turns out okay!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by