To wash or not to wash...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Go Eggs Go, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Go Eggs Go

Go Eggs Go Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    I know this is a common question, but I thought I would ask it again. Do people wash there eggs or what? We got our frist one yesterday! [​IMG] But we have 22 girls, and we will be selling eggs once they all get going. Just not sure what a person should do. Also should I candle the eggs before selling them? We do have a couple of cockareals and a rooster in the mix.

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    there is a thread on here about it. Use the search bar up on the blue header.

I don't cause it has a protective film from the hen that keeps out bacteria. I wash before eating [​IMG]

As far as candeling...............not sure why you would do that unless a brody is hatching it out. Then you wouldn't want to sell it or mess with it but let her hatch them out.

There also is a thread on how to see if the eggs are fertile. you can eat them, they taste no different & no babies cause they haven't been set yet. There is a picture that shows what it looks like, kinda like a bullseye.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by