To wash or NOT to wash

Cindychlvr

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
Not exactly clear to me. Should I wash eggs before storage or not. Different sources have had differing opinions. "Raising Chickens for Dummies" seems to indicate to always wash eggs before storing. Another source recommended washing just before use as to not remove the natural protective coating, therefore, reducing the potential for harmful bacteria to get inside the egg. It seems obvious to clean a visibly soiled egg carefully before storage but what about a clean-looking egg?? I know not use too much perfumed soap and watch the water temp. Any other hints??

Blimey .... My "Egg suporters" ... customers love a little smudge of dirt to prove it's freerange. lol. I wipe with a damp cloth. No heat and definatley NO chemicals.... The eggs are porose after all.

No dead customers yet, or near death experiences for me either.

I will follow this by saying that the nest boxes are regularly cleaned and a salt based anti bacterial used when I cleaning. (That covers all the bugs) They only tend to be dirty when it's been raining a lot or the rare accident. We can get a bit Phobic about bugs sometimes and over do things imho.

Ahhh, the eternal debate.
tongue.png

Personally I wash the eggs- plain running water. They are either sold or eaten withen days, so no worries about keeping the bloom on.

I put them in the fridge pointy side down straight out of the coop. I wash with warm water right before use. I do not sell eggs yet (not enough to go around), but I think I would have to wash if I did.

I know inheirently that they store better if they are not washed, but I don't want to gross out my customers by having a smudge on the egg. I quickly as possible wash them in very hot water then place on a drying rack (like a cake cooling rack) to dry then stored in refrigerator.
I have a few pullet size eggs and buttercup eggs that are on the smallish size compared to the brown egg layers. I don't wash those, and keep a couple on the counter for my own use.
If I get a disgustingly poopy or cracked egg, I have a carton in the fridge marked "broken" that I wait til I have a dozen, then I hardboil them, smash them and feed them back to the girls.

Back
Top Bottom