to wash or not to wash.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by debbyluvschickens, May 10, 2008.

1. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    that is the question....Okay, so I bought these eggs from a friends mother in law for $1 a dozen, so I cant really complain about their condition, but most of them were COVERED in poop. Some were so bad you couldnt tell the color of the egg. The worst ones I rubbed semi clean with a damp towel. The others I left a little poopy. I have already put these in my bator, but I am getting more tomorrow that will also be poop covered. Do I wash them or leave them nasty? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, I have been told if you wash them they wont hatch, but I have also been told too much poop clogs the "pores" and they wont hatch either.....what to do??

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

if they are covered in poop wash them in warm-hot water.

3. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have someone picking up some eggs for hatching today. It has been raining here for the past few days and some of them were dirty. I took a wet paper towel and wiped them down. I was wondering the same thing but I remember seeing this question on here not to long ago.

4. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    good, I hate the thought of turning those nasty eggs everyday. I was gonna get some rubber gloves....or maybe an automatic turner...been debating that one.

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    The poopies can transfer bacteria through the pores... and if one dies and explodes, you risk the entire hatch.
    Eggs are best if they're not washed, but if they're covered in poopies you have to do something. I have a medium-soft plastic scrub brush for manually removing most of the poopies, and then I take a warm/hot damp towel to gently rub the rest off. Try to work as quickly as possible, but this early you should be ok if the eggs cool off a little.
    With your new eggs, definitely wash them as best as you can... don't scrub hard, just gently remove the poopies... good luck!!!
    [​IMG]

6. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    thanks so much for all the help, I just finished cleaning the new ones, and now the wait....................................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by