to wash or not to wash

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by C17, Dec 27, 2011.

1. C17

C17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Blythewood
    Would like some opinion(s) on washing your fresh eggs.
    I know that nesting box needs to be clean
    Would like to sell my eggs and knowing people like I do, some may not a dirty egg.
    Thanks
    kp

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    There are many threads on this topic. Do a search on "washing eggs" on BYC and read some of the widely varying opinions. Basically, there are people who have strong opinions for washing - and others with equally strong opinions for not washing. Comes down to personal preference.

3. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    I usually just put it in the carton and wash it before i use it.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My eggs are always clean. I put them right in the carton and in the fridge. I wash my eggs right before I use them.

5. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    I wash mine...even though they are clean most times. Better to be safe than sorry..imo. I just use wet paper towels( with the water as close to the outside temp of the egg as possible)and then I dry them with with clean paper towels. I wash them before I put them in the fridge with the rest of our food. It is a personal opinion so whatever you feel is right for you and your customers.[​IMG]

6. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I have just been putting them in the fridge as is when I bring them in from the coop. The one that my hubby ate I just washed it off right before I cracked the shell. Although, I did wash one today before putting it in the fridge...it was covered in yolk (don't know why...still trying to figure it out) and poop from being under the roosts. That is the only one I have had to wash like that first though.

7. happyrooster

happyrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Enoch
    I just wipe what will come off with my hand.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:If you are selling, it will be up to your customers.
    I think it is mostly posted that sellers wash their eggs, due to buyers preferences.
    For your own consumption, there are pros & cons to doing either.
    I don't think either choice makes a huge difference.

Imp

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  9. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I wash every egg with an organic egg wash and warm water before putting it in the refrigerator. My reasoning for washing: No matter how "clean" it looks and no matter how clean the coop is kept, chickens walk through dirt and poop - then they climb into the nest and kick the nesting material around before laying the egg. And since I often gather two or more eggs from one nest box - that means that the eggs laid first were also pushed around by those feet. So, although they may look clean, there is bacteria on them - bacteria i don't want in my refrigerator next to my other food. Many people worry about washing the bloom off eggs. My eggs are never around long enough for that to be an issue. I rarely have eggs in the refrigerator that are beyond a week old. So I wash the eggs I get from my hens - that's my personal preference.

10. C17

C17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Blythewood
    All good stuff thank you all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by