To wash or not to wash?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bionic_chicken, Oct 6, 2008.

1. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    K, guys...do I wash the eggs or not??? If so, how?

2. NC chicken man

NC chicken man Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Mt. Pleasant,NC
    I do not wash my eggs that are not dirty just rub with a towel to get any dust off but if they are dirty I wash with warm running water and dry with a clean towel.

3. Idon't wash mine unless they are dirty until I start to use them,If They are dirty, and I do have one dumb hen that will lay while still on the roost,I have to wash her eggs and I wash them with dawn and warm water, dry and put up.If I sell any I tell the person that i did not wash them, no problems sofar. marrie

4. ChicksnPacas

ChicksnPacas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Byron, IL
    We don't wash them in order to keep the protective layer on the eggs intact. However, we do wash them right before we use them just in case [​IMG]

5. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Thanks, peeps![​IMG]

6. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I have one Buff O who poops everytime she lays so I have to wash that one. The others I just wipe off... no problems os of yet!

7. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I just wipe them clean with a slightly damp paper towel. I don't run them under water because that washes away the 'bloom,' the protective coating on the outside of the egg.

8. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    I give mine a quick rinse with cold water, and use a soft brush to get off anything questionable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by