To Whom Does this Egg Belong?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AutumnHens, Dec 20, 2016.

1. AutumnHens

AutumnHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Coastal NC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had another hen start laying today but I'm not sure which one. I'm inclined to think it's the Delaware because she's been making the most noise but none of them are squatting except the Campine and I already know she's laying because she's our only white layer. We have a Del, a BA, and a GLW that it could belong to as well as two Wellsummers who should lay a much darker egg.

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Which ones have the reddest combs? Any of them squatting?

3. AutumnHens

Apr 16, 2013
    Coastal NC
    [​IMG]

The 2 Wells, the Delaware, and the BA are all bright red but none of them squat. I doubt it's the two Wells because their egg color is supposed to be a much darker color. The GLW doesn't have a fully developed comb yet and our Campine has been laying for weeks and of course lays a white egg. So really that leaves me with either the Del or the BA. Of the two I'm leaning towards the Del because I've seen her in the nest box where as the BA is usually only in the coop to roost.

I don't need to know but I'd like to learn what each of their eggs look like so I can track who produces the most over the course of a year. Plus the Del (Captain Chickeletta) belongs to my youngest and he'll be thrilled to know it's his hen that's started laying beating out his brother's, dad's, and mine. It's the little things in life......

4. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Just remember, first eggs can change, especially as the "paint factory" gets working better in the dark egg breeds. So it is still possible you have a Wellie laying, although your guess is probably right about the Del.

Hope you figure it out! :). It's fun.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Check da butts:
    Vent Appearance:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My guess by the color is the Australorp.

7. AutumnHens

Apr 16, 2013
    Coastal NC
    And the Del is the winner, making for a very happy 5 year old boy..

8. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Did you catch her in the act? Glad your 5 year old is happy! Tell him congratulations. :)

9. AutumnHens

Apr 16, 2013
    Coastal NC
    Yes, she was in the nest box when we checked and then 5 minutes later we had a warm brown egg. She came strutting out singing her egg song and the boys ran to check. With any luck the other 4 will pick up shortly, they're all the same age so should be soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by