To Worm or Not to Worm?

msabney

Chirping
Sep 24, 2017
North Georgia
My Coop
My Coop
The pea we just got has been wormed in the last week or so. The pea we had already has not been wormed. Can we safely worm or will that harm the one we just got? I have the Wazine liquid wormer. Chicks are about five months old and still on medicated starter feed.

Medicated feed is usually just for Coccidiosis not worms.

Can you collect some fresh poop and run it to the vet for a fecal test?

For your own piece of mind you should go ahead and deworm your birds then you know that it has been done. However, the problem I see is that you are relying on Wazine which is mostly ineffective against anything other than roundworms. Consider using something that works like Safeguard orally or Valbazen in the water.

For your own piece of mind you should go ahead and deworm your birds then you know that it has been done. However, the problem I see is that you are relying on Wazine which is mostly ineffective against anything other than roundworms. Consider using something that works like Safeguard orally or Valbazen in the water.
I'm glad I posted. I had no idea I had picked up a not so good item!

Agreed, no harm in making sure they are wormed and I would use valbazen. Wazine isn't good for much.
There can be harm in worming just to worm, ask goats farmers now. using any medication in excess or when not needed is what is leading to resistance. I would check to see if it is needed, then worm.

Back
Top Bottom