To young?

IsaihaShel10

Chirping
Jun 18, 2021
I have this Easter Egger leg bar mix and she’s is a month old but she’s already fully feathered so i was gonna put her outside with an older flock but idk if that’s a good idea and suggestions also we live in ky right now it’s snowing but it’s usually 18 degrees to 50

I have this Easter Egger leg bar mix and she’s is a month old but she’s already fully feathered so i was gonna put her outside with an older flock but idk if that’s a good idea and suggestions also we live in ky right now it’s snowing but it’s usually 18 degrees to 50
I would say wait a little longer for her to get bigger and be able to handle the cold a bit better

I’m gonna say I should wait but a problem I’m running into is that they are drinking there water thing so fast no matter if they are had some or not and they are not in some ginormous brooder it’s just a bin about 33 inches long so they don’t have that much room so I’m trying to see if they could go outside so they can have the whole coop

I’m gonna say I should wait but a problem I’m running into is that they are drinking there water thing so fast no matter if they are had some or not and they are not in some ginormous brooder it’s just a bin about 33 inches long so they don’t have that much room so I’m trying to see if they could go outside so they can have the whole coop

Where is the brooder?
Are you still supplying heat?

If the brooder is in your house, you might be able to remove the heat source. That would let them start getting used to lower temperatures (lower than heated brooder), and would be a good step on the way to moving them outdoors. Excessive heat can also make chickens drink more, so cooling them down a bit might help there too.

(I agree that more space would also be good, and you are right that moving the chicks outside is likely to be the best fix for that situation.)

Back
Top Bottom