1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

TOAD..... its what for breakfast!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duckinnut, Jul 3, 2011.

1. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    The last 2 days the girls have uncovered toads and proceded with biology class. Although this morning, its more a football than food. You would think that insects are a far easier course than toad but I guess variety is the spice of life. Just makes me wonder what posesses them to want ot eat it. I'm thinking its back to the days long before man when they had teeth and hands. They are just funny to watch running around and not 100% sure where to go and what to do. Ohhhhh great, now they are truly not on a vegetarian diet!!!! But can I still consider them organic?

2. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    MINE TOO! My roo even caught a small lizzard last week. Creepy.

3. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Quote:I never heard of a manmade toad, so I'd say you're still good on the 'organic' part.

Maybe they were mad because the toad was eating THEIR flies.
    [​IMG]

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Chickens are omnivores so a nice juicey toad is perfect in their diet. Watching them chase each other for the prize is priceless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by