Toads Poisonous to Chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Smittenroade, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Someone asked this question earlier on the forums, I found it on google. We have many many toads here in the summer and I live down near lousianna. If a chicken ate a toad down here would they get sick and die? [​IMG] Im sure they will end up eating toads, no doubt in my mind. They eat just about everything else...I have read that toads are mildly poisonous to some mammals. However, different animals body systems react differently to various poisons. It seems to me that a chicken would be a natural predator to a toad anyways, or at least baby toads. Any insight would be much appreciated.

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I hope not! We have tons of baby toads here, and I know mine have eaten a few.... [​IMG] but they seem to love them. They have also eaten baby snakes.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I don't think they are because my chickens eat as many toads and frogs as they can find. No ill effects yet.

4. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    If you have Cane Toads, I'd watch out, those guys are super poisonous! Other toads & frogs are probably just fine, just so long as you don't have any brightly-colored frogs, as they are usually poisonous as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by