Toads!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KatietheHen, Jun 27, 2010.

1. KatietheHen

KatietheHen New Egg

Jun 26, 2010
    we found a small toad outside one day and we have a question.....can the chickens eat the toad?? we would never ever feed them a toad but im just rele curious. the toad is about the size of ur pinky nail.

Thanks,
    KatietheHen:)[/b]

2. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    I don't know if they should eat them but they will. I have found my chickens playing chase over a frog. I think it was a tree frog. I just could not take it away...it was all to pieces and the guts just grossed me out.

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    As long as it isnt a Cane toad you should be fine.. My girls go nuts when the baby toads and frogs are all over.. the way i see , its free food

4. KatietheHen

KatietheHen New Egg

Jun 26, 2010
    Thanks...i bet tht was rele gross lol...poor frog!!

5. merryberry

merryberry Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Northeast Ohio
    My hens definitely WANT to eat the frogs/toads in our woods, but they haven't quite figured out how to catch them yet (my girls aren't even three months old). They will find one burrowed into the dirt, and scratch and scratch at it, get it mostly uncovered, and then give up (or get distracted) and wander away. Its pretty funny to watch. When they leave, I reburry the poor freaked out toad.

6. tom e

tom e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    They should be fine. I believe that the only toad native to the US that you need to worry about is the Colorado River toad. The Cane toad is a nonnative that is here in some states as well. Also very poisonous. Most other toads are simply 'bad tasting' to most predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by