Toadstools

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bakerjw, May 24, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Our girls have gotten to be real treat hounds. They know that when we open the side door of the tractors that there will be worms, bugs, rice cripsies, etc... to be soon had. This weekend I took them a worm that I had found and opened the door. Most of them were instantly focused on the worm in my hand but one of them spotted a small toadstool right next to the door and before I could do anything to stop her the toadstool was gone with a chicken doing the "Don't take my treat" game.

Anyone else have any issues with a chicken eating toadstools? None of them appear to have gotten sick.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Most toadstools, mushrooms, etc. my chickens have always left alone. There is an occasional one that they'll gobble down. After watching my flock free range for two years I've come to realize that they have a sense about whats okay to eat and whats not.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Tons of toadstools around my area, but I've never seen a chicken touch one... [​IMG] I hope it's how gritsar says...that they will avoid foods/plants that are bad for them.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Two years of free ranging on a farm that is overrun with wild brush, poisonous plants, etc. and not a single chicken sick from eating something they weren't s'pose to.
    Lilith would be the only exception, but who would expect a chicken to eat broken glass? She only gobbled it down because I was trying to take it from her and she didn't want me to. [​IMG] Still, she survived.

5. Chickenconcernd

Chickenconcernd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    My chickens pull the mushrooms up but I do not think they eat them.

6. ConPollos

ConPollos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2015
    It's raining and I found toadstools in my run, so I didn't let the girls out because they've eaten all the good forage in the run, so I'm afraid they'll eat something toxic out of boredom. I'm going to remove those. Tilly's Nest blog has an article about the dangers.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  7. HeritageGoose13

HeritageGoose13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    My birds love mushrooms, it has never bothered any of them. Once one of my hens was eating a bunch of mushrooms in a row. She was gobbling them up. They all looked similiar to me. Then she came to the last mushroom and grabbed it in her beak. Did she eat it? Nope, she flung it and sent it flying so high it went over the short fence and out of her area! That one was apparently not edible. After this she went exploring and ate some other, smaller mushrooms. There are tons of mushrooms where I live, my birds probably eat them every day in the summer. They know what is safe and what is not.

8. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    I have an aquaintance with turkeys, his ate some and died that night....so who knows what a spur of the moment decisions does.

9. ConPollos

ConPollos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2015
    Oh, my! :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by