1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tobacco, yip Tobacco, the plants are popping up.

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by bachbach1, Jan 26, 2014.

1. bachbach1

bachbach1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2013
    I know that now days a lot of people are focusing on the bad effects of tobacco, still I claim insanity. The plants are beautiful, and even grow flowers if you don't top them. They have big leafs, and people always ask what is that. And you can smoke it too, LOL. You can legally grow all you want for your own consumption, but you cant legally sell or trade it. The seeds are the smallest seeds I have ever seen, you need to start them indoors. A lot of plants dont like to be transplanted, it doesnt bother tobacco at all, it doesnt even wilt when you thin the plants out. I will post some pics later. I cant wait to roll some cigars, I am all out from last years crop.

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Are you growing an heirloom variety?
    I think the tobacco companies have bred their modern tobacco to have the higher tar and other stuff that makes the modern cigarettes so unhealthy. In addition to all the other chemicals they add to those nasty things.
    I like the "nicotina" plant for the flower beds - so pretty. I have a friend who works for a nursery and she says they are not allowed to smoke or carry cigarettes in the greenhouse because the nicotina plant can get diseased from the commercial tobacco.

3. bachbach1

bachbach1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2013
    The US tobacco company's have hybridized they plants so much, and they closely guard even those seeds, because they dont want anyone growing their own tobacco. I am growing an Heirloom non GMO variety of what is known as Virginia tobacco. I dont spray it with any chemicals, I use a micro species that is about 1/50th of an inch parasite wasp that is so small you cant see them. They dont sting people, and they lay their eggs in any caterpillar egg, totally destroying any caterpillars before they hatch. They kill horn worms like on tomatoes, and tobacco, and hundreds of other species of caterpillars.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by