Tobiano Paint Mare Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by babyboy1_mom, Jun 5, 2008.

1. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Alright all my chicken friends, I have a couple of questions about the pregnancy of a Tobiano Paint.

1. How long is a Tobiano Paint mare pregnant?

2. After breeding, how long should I wait to have the vet come out and check to confirm pregnancy?

I am asking for my sister, so I know nothing about horses. Any advice on pregnant horses that all of you can give me will be greatly appreciated. My sister has experience with horses, but not pregnant horses, so please help.

Thanks,

Dorothy

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Well, the breed doesn't have anything to do with how long they are pregnant. [​IMG] Usually it's about 11 months. My mare went 354 days, though.

Is the mare maiden?

After 14 days, you can ultrasound & see if she's preggo, but I wanted until the 16th day to check....

3. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Thanks equibling for the quick reply.

I know absolutely nothing about horses, so I do not understand what you mean when you asked if is the mare maiden. What does that mean?

Dorothy

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Maiden means she's never foaled before (it's her first baby?)

5. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    No, I know that she has had at least one other foal before my sister bought her. They removed the foal on the day that my sister got her.

Thanks

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If these are the questions your sister is asking, she really really needs to get a good book (I don't know if "Blessed Are The Broodmares" has an updated edition, but even the older one is very useful), and/or spend a lot of time reading other good sources.

For instance she needs to find out what she needs to do in the way of vaccinations (there is an extra shot, or couple of shots I forget, that are wise to give to a broodmare to reduce the chance of late miscarriage), and of course all the stuff that matters a lot late in pregnancy and w/r/t foaling and care of the young foal.

Good luck,

Pat

7. Rare Feathers Farm

It's the Rhino shot they need, along with boosters. They have a special one just for pregnant mares. Pneumabort is what it's called. It's made to prevent abortions.
    http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1&pf_id=11531

In addition, a good supplement is Mare 'n' Foal by Farnam. It has vitamin E & selenium.

Also, stay away from the WNV vaccines. It's been known to cause horrid birth defects, along with troubles getting mares in foal. This webpage has some GRAPHIC pics...so beware!

http://lost-foals-group.4t.com/photo6.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2008
  8. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the info. My sister is in the process of locating a good resource book now. She was just wanting to know a little bit now.

I did find out that this will be her fifth baby. My sister has all of her registration papers, but did not see any information on her other pregnanciey.

She is up to date on all of her regular shots also.

Dorothy

9. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Also wanted to add that Tobiano is just the pattern of her markings. There are Tobiano, Overo and Tovero. The best way to preg check a mare is see if she cycles in 23 days it is less stressful and way cheaper than having a vet out for a preg check. If you have to have a preg check I would go with an ultra sound. Its more costly, but not at all risky and less stressful for everyone.

I have had a mare to have false heats, but that was on into her pregnancy. We already knew she was bred and knew what we were looking at. If your mare needs vaccinations anyway, you should probably just get the vet out and have him take a look at her. It sounds as if ya'll may not recognize the signs of heat anyway. We all have to learn. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  10. Rare Feathers Farm

Yeah...my mare used to have "silent" heats & never showed any signs of being in heat. She also had trouble cycling. Had to get her on lutalyse shots = 'spensive. After she foaled, she's been having raging heats, LOL My other mare, although I've never bred her, has had three foals. Apparently, she acts like she's in heat, no matter what (whether she's bred or not). She's the kind of mare that you can't do anything with for like 5 days out of the month because she can't take more than about two steps without stopping, winking & peeing. LOL Oh and squealing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by