Toclip or not to clip

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tenmore, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    [​IMG] Thinking of clipping their wings. After doing so will they completely grounded or can they still elavate enough to get to their roosts? 3 and 4 feet and 6 feet high staggered as they go up. thanks again for all your help

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    if you clip both wings, then No they will not be able to fly up. If you clip just one side, then they can kind of fly up to about 3-4 feet. None the less I personally don't like to clip wings. If it is a standard size chicken and not a bantam, then most will not try to fly out once they reach full size.

3. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Thank you yes they are standard size black and gold sexlinks ameriacanas and white leghorns all about 12 weeks old. Their run has 8 ft. sides on it and they are flying up to about 6 ft. high now dont really want to cover top unless i have to. I dont care if their out in the yard but I want to be able to control when their out. Thanks again

4. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I clipped one side so I could go with lower fencing. I have two gals that I may not have done correctly as they can fly out. Only one of the 21 I clipped seems to have any trouble getting up to nest boxes and roosts. When they molt I will prob. not redo it thought as the main intent was to keep the grown chickens in the run long enough for them to know where they belong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by