1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Today at 1pm is day 25. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mpcardona, Mar 28, 2012.

1. mpcardona

mpcardona Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    I have not heard any chirping, no pipping. I did the water test and found three of them rocking. What next? This is my first hatch and not sure what to do next. How long is too long? I have Welsummer, Australorp, and Bovan eggs.

2. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    What is your temp? What is the humidity?

3. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    My temp has been between 97-102 for the most part. Day 1-18 humidity was around 30-35%. Lock down between 60-65% most of the time. Homemade bator with a water heater thermostat.

4. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    I went ahead and opened them up. Found that for the most, I guess, my temp was too high. They didn't hatch for a reason. Their intestines were on the outside and they were shrink wrapped. I will not do the home made bator thing anymore. I don't have the time for the rebuild. I think I will just buy one.

5. smchickfarm

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    I am so sorry about your loss [​IMG] I really don't think your temp was too high. Mine runs about 100-101 the whole time. However, I do believe your humidity was too low for days 1-18. I keep mine about 50, then bump it up to 65-70 during lockdown.

Good Luck on your next hatch!

6. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    Thanks smchickfarm, I was worried. Being my first incubation ever.
    I have been reflecting. Things to change, so that I can try again.

Out of 24 eggs; two were yokers, three fully developed, two had feathers but were still small, and all the rest died between days 5-9.

Can I post a picture of one of them, in hopes that someone can tell me if the chick looks normal? It does look like a chick, of course, but the sack on the front is what I'm questioning.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  7. smchickfarm

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    Sure you can post pics. We all learn by seeing, watching and reading.

I had trouble my very first hatch. You figure stuff out and try again!!! See, cause now you are addicted to it [​IMG]

Sometimes, it just is and it isn't really anything we did. Get you some eggs and get that bator ready to again! [​IMG]

8. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    This one was the biggest of them all. Welsummer hen and Light Brahma/Delware rooster.
    Sorry this pictures aren't great. The camera I used was a cheapy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't unfold all of them, but they all pretty much had bellies like this.

9. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    At least you had something to show for you efforts, my attempt at hatching last year ended up with no developement in 24 eggs. my last hatch was 6 for 14. Don't give up. I use a styrofoam cooler and a light bulb.

10. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    Not sure how my husband will feel about it, but I will try again. I ordered a wafer thermostat off of an incubator site, still waiting for it to come in. Then I'll refine my incubator and try again.

I think maybe part of the problem was, I didn't take into account that I live in Southern California, where there is really no humidity. And the water heater thermostat was stable enough for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by