today i put my 4 week old babies

Queen Scoot

Crochet Chieftess
11 Years
May 27, 2008
HOOKERVILLE!!!
outside in a lil cage on the lawn and Tonto,my LGD took right over!! he is 8 months old and takes his job seriuosly!! LOL
here he is doing his job,guarding Willow,Storm,and Twister.
dscf0006-11.jpg

dscf0005-17.jpg

dscf0004-15.jpg

dscf0003-20.jpg

dscf0002-21.jpg

dscf0001-22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a very handsome boy there!!!! Your chickens are cute too.

It really does make a big difference having a good watch dog to guard the flock. I have about 36 chickens....they have about 3/4 of an acre of fenced area to roam in. My dogs keep a very close watch on the property and chase everything away before it has a chance to become a problem.

So far (Knock on Wood!!) I haven't lost a single bird to a predator and our area has a LOT of coons. There are so many coons around here they get out on the roads and get run over more than dogs do. I rarely see a dead dog on the road but there is always a coon somewhere between our house and town.

thanks! he's a wonderful boy and a great example of the great pyr guarding. lol
i think in a few weeks i will let the babies free range for a few hours every day with him and i watching.

My dogs are a Mastiff/Anatolian cross and they are wonderful guard dogs. I have one hen that likes to attack the oldest dog Shelby. When she attacks....the dog will lay down and I guess that is a signal of submission because the stupid chicken will flap her wings in victory and go away.... the dog will go back to doing whatever it was she was doing.

The strangest thing is that the dogs will chase a predator to the property line then turn around and come back to the flock. I never taught them that....I'm guessing it must be an instinct that is part of the breeding....not to leave your flock unattended.

Back
Top Bottom