Today is day 18!!! I had a heartattack this AM

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Widderpincess12, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Widderpincess12

Widderpincess12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    So today is my day 18 and my first time doing a lockdown....I woke up and when I went to bed lastnight it was 65% I decided to start my Lockdown lastnight before bed, anyways I candled and I didn't see much movement in a few eggs because they are so big already I guess??? Isaw movement in some but not all most were black blobs LOL Anyways I got my humidity up to 75% and it was nice, I went to bed and woke up....OMGEEEE my bator was at 50% humidity and 106 degrees!!!! I freaked and panic'd I woke my hubby up and was in tears .... He got up and helped me....my bator wasn't heating right and my darn humidity wont stay up..I have 2 wet sponges and a cup of water with a sponge in it and the temp back to 99.5-100.

are my chicks gonna die?????? my son is so excited about chicks!!! and today is ou3 year anniversary! im like freakin...my hubby had to walk me to my front door LOL and make me leave for work he said he would take care of it....[​IMG][​IMG]

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    The temperature worries me more than the humidity.. If it wasn't there for long it might be ok, no way to really tell for a few days.
    I try to not do lockdown in the evening and if I do I do it early enough so I can keep a watch for atleast three hours.

Good Luck!! [​IMG]

3. Widderpincess12

Feb 22, 2015
    thank you....I don't think it was high like that for long because I went to the restroom and checked it and everything was fine so It was like that for maybe an hour or two....ugh!!!! im freaking out...all I can do it wait now [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The eggs themselves take longer to heat up and cool down than the outside air that the thermometer is reading, so if it hadn't been that high for an extended amount of time there is a good chance you'll still have hatchers. It mostly depends on how long it was at that temp. Good luck and keep us posted. [​IMG]

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    If it was only at 106 for an hour or so your probably ok, and far as the humidity goes that's fine. Low humidity in lock down won't really hurt anything till the hatch starts and there is a chance of shrink wrap ( membrane drying out and sticking to chick preventing hatch). Besides 50% isn't that low. I shoot for 55-65% in lockdown because I now as soon as the first chick hatches the humidity will go up.

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I have to ask, because I am formulating a theory. Do you have a strict "hands off" philosophy at lockdown-hatch?

7. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    In general yes I leave them alone and and let them hatch or not as I'm trying to increase the vigor of my flock.That being said, I have helped some chicks out.if their in trouble if it's not due to their own weakness. For example I had one that had zipped but another chick decided to take a 10 hour nap on top of her so she shrink wrapped and I'm happy to say that she's the broodyest little cochin I've ever had.
    As a rule I candle at ten days and 18 then lock down and everybody stays in the incubator till the hatch is done. I do the dry hatch method with the humidity between 25 and 40 for the first 18 days and raise to 55-65 for lock down. I will tweak the humidity a bit depending on air cell growth at 10 days if needed. This is what works for me in W Ky in late winter or early spring with this incubator. Others may have completely different results with their situation

8. Widderpincess12

Feb 22, 2015
    thank you, I fixed it all up lastnight its at 99.5-100 and its also humidity is at 55-60% but I have to leave the vent plugs in or it drops to 40%-50% my bator has other holes in the top as well though is that Ok???? I saw a little pip hole lastnight and I lost sleep over it LOL today is day 19 for me!!! I got a pic too of the pip hole....is that a pip hole???????[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Thank you for your answer. I am devising a theory on those that use, (what is in my opinion) a low hatch humidity in conjunction with the hands off philiosophy. My hypothesis being that those that use a lower hatch humidity successfully are those that have a hands off after lockdown philosophy.

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I also run dry the first 17 days-at least I strive for a 30% humidity, only I raise mine to around 75% for lockdown hatch. I am not a hands off. I will assist if I feel it is necessasary and I remove my chicks periodically.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by