Today is day 18...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lswatson111304, Dec 12, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    I go into lockdown right? Do I do it now, or tonight? I set the eggs on Midnight thanksgiving night, so I was told that friday was day 1. So today should be day 18. I have 5 eggs that have movement in them, and 4 of them look like they have progressed to the point they should. 1 looks a little smaller than the others, it was the one with the REALLY bad air cell. All had bad air cells though, so this is going to be a very scary few days.
    So since it is time for lockdown, do I take the eggs out of the carton they have been in to keep them upright? Or leave them in? They all had busted or detached air cells when I set them. Now the air cells seem to be stationary since the chicks are so big. I'm unsure of how to move forward though, I don't want to do something wrong and make my chances for a successful hatch even worse. So take them out and lay on sides, or leave them in the egg carton upright?

2. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    No, if you set the eggs at midnight on thanksgiving, you'd lock them down at midnight tonight.

As for how you should position them - I'd leave them how they are, since the detached air sacs
    are stable now. However I personally don't think they'd go anywhere if you were to change the
    position of the eggs. Being in the egg-carton is fine for hatching, many people wont have it any
    other way.

Good luck!

3. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Thank you!!

4. critterrun

critterrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    NJ
    I go into lock down on wed

so you leave them upright in the egg carton???

I thought you layed them down [​IMG]

5. Ukiah

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Quote:Some people (Like myself) lay them down in the bottom of the incubator, as they would be under
    mama, but others hatch them in egg cartons (Always pointy end down).

It doesn't matter really, just a personal preference.

6. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    I only have them upright in the air carton because the air cells were damaged and I had read that with the damaged air cells minimal movement and upright position was best. So thats what I've done. But now that we are at lockdown I don't know if the chicks can hatch out being upright?

7. Ukiah

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    How was your humidity during these first 18 days of incubation?

If it was higher, hatching in egg-cartons usually won't turn out as well.
    If it was OK - lower, usually people get good hatch results. Like stated
    above, it's a personal preference, either way of hatching them is fine.

However in your particular situation, with the detached air sacs, I
    personally would hatch them in the cartons.

8. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Humidity was low. I attempted a "dry hatch" but the humidity got REALLY LOW like in the teens I guess because the heater is on, we usually have a high relative humidity. So I put a small amount of water in every few days. This is only my second hatch so I'm super nervous.

9. Ukiah

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Hey, I've hatched an uncountable number of times and I still get overwhelmingly nervous -
    EVERY time [​IMG]

Wishing you luck

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you started them on a Thursday, chicken eggs should hatch 21 days later, on a Thursday. Lockdown should be after a full 18 days worth of development, which would be on a Monday. An egg does not have 24 hours worth of development two seconds after you put it in the incubator. It takes 24 hours for it to have a day's worth of development. Lockdown does not have to be that precise. If you are off a bit, it doesn't really matter. They are supposed to hatch after 21 days, but many of us have them hatch a couple of days early or late. There are lots of different things that can affect it. But if you set them at midnight Thursday night, I'd go into lockdown late tonight.

You'll find some people that are convinced the only way to hatch them is in a carton. Others are just as adament that laying on the bottom on their side is the best way to go. I am not convinced it matters at all. With your air sac history, you will probably feel better if you leave them in the carton. whether that makes a difference to them or not. So go with the way that is less stressful to you. My suggestion though is to cut the bottom out of the carton pockets, not so they can hatch better, but to provide better air circulation around the eggs. They are working hard while hatching and need to be able to breathe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by