Today is day 20 for call ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cackleberrylinda, Jul 24, 2010.

1. cackleberrylinda

cackleberrylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    When do they go into Lock Down? And should I be so blessed that babies come forth from my eggs, what do I feed baby ducks? I have medicated chick starter??? Or should I go with All Purpose? Is there enough protein in it? What percentage of protein should it have? Can I supplement with cooked eggs like I have with chicks? I didn't realize I had so many questions till I realized ....oh oh they are almost here. I hope I get some. I candled but I am just not sure. I think I see parts of birds, like maybe a wing or something in some but it looks pretty soupy in there still. Oh how I wish there was someone near me that could train me, but hey! I have you guys!!
    And thanks be for that
    Linda

2. callducklover20

callducklover20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Bonner Springs, KS
    oh some times it really hard to see anything, so I know what you mean-I usually lock down at day 25 for my calls, this years hatches have been from day 27 thru day 30-I think it was the crazy spring with all the ups and downs in temps, my eggs were also shipped so that may have done something with the dates. Calls can be tricky so be patient, I have heard about using a cheap stethoscope from the drug store to hear the heart beat and some people on here claim thats the way to go-I think I will try that next time around. Just watch your eggs anything that has stuff oozing out the pores is bad, so get it out before it explodes and kills the other babies in the eggs. Some of my eggs I thought had nothing hatched out adorable little calls. I usually see the veins and a dark blob and know that is a baby but not always lol. Good luck, hope you have some adorable little ones-oh yeah food, I feed mine Purina duck chow starter or Flock raiser when I couldnt find it, I mix in some hardboiled eggs and mash it all up with water or a solution of electrolytes. I really like using electrolytes for my newly hatch first couple weeks and then a couple days a week after that-gives them a great boost-I find mine a TSC(tractor supply) its in a dry 4 oz bag so I can just mix a little at a time, it also has good vitamins. Just ask there or your local feed store and they should have it-I dont use any medication unless needed, some people use it others say it kills ducks(the older types would kill ducks,todays types dont?)-I dont, I dose who needs to be dosed and that is all-have fun [​IMG]:fl Michelle

3. cackleberrylinda

cackleberrylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    Oh thank you callducklover... I am so happy to have some more info to go on. Mine are shipped eggs also so anything will be a welcome. And any
    that have made it this far, I really want to meet and enjoy their little cute selves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by