Today is day 21 and there is no pipping :( I am so worried!**UPDATE**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JLS, Jul 8, 2011.

1. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    There is no wiggling of the egg, no pipping, and no sound. They are in a still air incubator. The temp on the rack is 99.5F. Humidity is 80%. When do I candle them? I didn't want to open the incubator if I was not supposed to. Please help me. I am so worried!!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    The humidity sounds a bit too high to me, but I have a fan-driven air incubator when I use 65% for hatching.

When did you start incubating? Remember the first day is day 0 and not day 1, a lot of folk expect hatching a day earlier than it should.

Even if you are definitely on day 21, don't worry. Some breeds take a little longer, some incubators don't have accurate thermometers, so the temperature may have been a little low. This and other factors can delay the hatch by a day or two.

Leave the incubator shut for now.

Good Luck.

3. JLS

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Quote:I opened one of the larger plugs on the top to allow some moisture to escape. What is the best amount of humidity? I will leave the incubator closed.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Your temps are a bit too low for a still air.. so that will slow down your incubation by a few days.. your humidity is also a bit high

I always give chicken eggs til day 24 and then do a float test if they haven't hatched

5. JLS

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Okay, yesterday I got a call from a friend who has her first hatch in lock-down and her incubator stopped heating! Her incubator temp was at 80F for several hours. She came over and put her eggs in my incubator.

So I am worried that I opened the incubator in order for her to quickly put her eggs in. I did notice that some of my eggs and some of her eggs are wiggling this morning [​IMG] The humidity is 74% (which is probably still a bit high but an improvement). They are not vocalizing yet.

How long will they take to pip out once the egg starts to wiggle?

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I'm going to say I USUALLY have pips about 48 hours from egg wiggle (to be honest .. I've never actually timed it).. some a bit sooner.. some a bit more than that..
    I do remember one who wiggled day 17 and didnt bother to make an appearance til day 23...

7. farm&countrygirl

farm&countrygirl New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Don't worry it should be fine. All of the last chicks I hatched except one didn't even start until the 24th day and they all came out healthy and happy! Good Luck! [​IMG]

8. JLS

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Okay, I am really worried now! Of the few eggs that started to wiggle only one is still wiggling. Yesterday there was chirping coming from the egg but now no sound. The wiggling is not as strong either. The little one still has not broken out! What am I supposed to do??!!?? Please advise me as soon as possible.

9. JLS

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I have some good news ........ one of the eggs (of course it is not one of my eggs [​IMG] ) hatched late last night!! [​IMG] There is another one pipping out too, again not one of mine. So I am very happy that some of the chicks made it. I just wish that one of my eggs was in that number.

My eggs are still in there but they are on the 24th day. I dont know exactly how I managed to kill 18 chicks but that is what appears to have happened. What amazes me, and makes it all the more difficult, is that the chick that hatched loves me. The little one dives into my hand as soon as he/she sees it! [​IMG] I put a stuffed animal in the brooder to keep the chick company. Oh, I wish a couple of my chicks would hatch!!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  10. Littleturkey123

Littleturkey123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    Quote:that is sooo cute i hope mine will do that when it hatches, i am on day 11 so far with a turkey egg , good luck to both of us [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by