Today is day 21 and....

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by mich9510, Dec 23, 2016.

1. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    I tried to listen with my stethoscope to see if my two little (big actually) emu eggs were alive. I heard nothing as usual. But I noticed that one side of the eggs is cool after being out of the incubator for a few minutes. The other end of the eggs is still warm. I thought it was just me... They felt like that because I want them to. But I was holding them on their sides so it wasn't my hand keeping the ends warm. And it was a definite difference in temperature. No mistaking it. I'm so excited! I will say that I thought it was too early for them to generate their own heat though.

2. dragonthehunter

dragonthehunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    Hmm interesting
    Just a few questions if thats ok (Wanting to get an emu)
    #1 do you have other emus? (the rest are only if you answered this with yes)
    #2 how much do they eat in food a year/
    #3 How big a pen for just one?
    #4 How much is the average price for a emu chick?
    #5 Do they have any way to earn at least enough revenue to pay for their own food?

3. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    These will be my 1st ones. I do know that you need about as much room as you need for a horse per emu and a 5 ft fence. As far as food goes I can't tell you that yet...lol.

4. dragonthehunter

dragonthehunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    Lol ok The space was just out of curiousity I have plenty of land

5. briefvisit

briefvisit Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2013
    We've figured out that wild males sitting on eggs start getting data -- wiggle wiggle -- about half way through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by