Today is day 21 for Pearl. (NEW UPDATE ON Pg. 2)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beefy, Apr 15, 2008.

1. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    So Pearl started out with 13 eggs...
    she is down to 7 now. rotten eggs have been busting along and along. what do you think the odds are that some of the remaining eggs will hatch? i hope one or two will hatch for her sake.[

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    well thanks for all the responses. heres an update for anyone who cares? today is day 24. i decided earlier today that Pearls eggs probably werent going to hatch so i got her eggs out while she was running around in the yard today. i also got Flo's nest of 4 eggs which were right by Pearl's nest. When Pearl saw what i was doing she freaked out and really raised a ruckus. i sort of busted up her nest to discourage her broodiness, it was just some leaves in a hole. i put Flo's egg out on the grass, not sure what i'd do with those. i thought about throwing them out, she had 3 yesterday but i hadnt marked them or anythign so i couldnt tell for sure which one was todays so i didnt harvest any. i took Pearls smelly eggs down to the pond, far away. (yesterday we had an explosion.. it sounded like a firecracker went off and she came running out with an egg stuck to her breast!) but anyway, so i was curious to see what was inside the eggs b/c i had hoped one or two would hatch so she didnt waste all that time. she started out with 13 and by today there only 6 left. of those 6, one had a little chick in it that was pretty much fully developed and must have died just a day or so before it hatched or either jsut didnt hatch. another one had a little fluffy chick in it, not fully developed-but close, and it was still encased in a tough membrane or some sort. another egg looked like it had a cooked yolk in it, and the others were just the plain ol putrid smelly rotten greenish pukey looking color. so Pearl kept returning to her nest and looking around and then she spotted Flo's eggs out in the grass and went over and pecked at them. then she went back to her nest and i figured what tha hay, so i put Flo's four near Pearls nest just to see what would happen. Pearl went and sat on her next and with her neck stretched out she took her beak and rolled all four eggs under her. I dont know if these will hatch or not or it there is still rotten egg bacteria lingering around but it looks like she'll be sitting another 3 weeks on 4 eggs. so is today day 1 or tomorrow?

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Boy I am new at this. But I wish you luck. I just put my babies out side today. I cryed. [​IMG] So I don't know. My babies are not old enough to lay yet. Hope someone helps you. [​IMG]

4. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    I am new to hatching as well but I believe it works that if you put them in at 6 on a friday than 6 on saturday is day one. Hope this helps and sorry nobody helped yesterday.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have no idea.

Show me some pictures of that big black speckeldy hen with the chicks you have!

6. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Wow, I am feeling sorry for poor Pearl. I really dont know the answer but I sure hope this hatch goes better. I have a little broody and she has been sitting on nothing for 2 weeks faithfully, so I finally gave in and got her some fertile eggs, due in another 9 days or so.

I personally count the second day as day one if I put them in late in the day, but not sure I am doin it right either. [​IMG] Mine hatched a day early the last time, so...see what that tells you. lol

7. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Today is day 1! She's off to a fresh start!

I have to wonder why pearls eggs did not hatch and were exploding.
    I take it she is setting on the ground. What are the conditions around her nest?

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Gee, Beefy, sorry about Pearl's eggs. Sounds pretty gross, the firecracker egg!

9. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    Quote:it smelled moreso.

10. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    @migocontodos~ :

Today is day 1! She's off to a fresh start!

I have to wonder why pearls eggs did not hatch and were exploding.
    I take it she is setting on the ground. What are the conditions around her nest?

shes setting right under my house. there are magnolia leaves there are all over the ground and she hollowed out a little nest in them. the ground there is like cement though. those eggs must have been highly volatile, they blew her clean out from under the house that one time, lol.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by