Today is day 21, help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by weloveourchicks, Apr 13, 2009.

1. weloveourchicks

weloveourchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Virginia
    my hen has been sitting on two eggs for 21 days; when should they hatch? We candled them about 2 weeks ago and saw heartbeats in both; should we candle again? or just be patient?

help!

Susan

2. weloveourchicks

Sep 15, 2008
    Virginia
    I guess I am just concerned candling them could have harmed them? Should I candle again? We've just never done this before.

Thanks again.

3. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    I would be patient. This close to hatching might not be such a good time to candle. Wait a couple days. Momma hen should know what's up with her chicks, I don't believe she would sit on dead ones...

4. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    If today is the 21st day I would say leave her alone she will be just fine. She won't come off that nest til the hatch is done! Give her a couple more days....I know it's hard, my broody stayed on the nest longer than I would have thought too, but she hatched off a bunch of chicks!

5. weloveourchicks

Sep 15, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks, I guess we just need to calm down [​IMG] I am just so anxious to see them!!!!

Susan

6. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    Understandable, I think we all get anxious over our feathered pals! [​IMG]

7. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Quote:I know the feeling, I bet I went out and checked out momma too many times a day to count, she probably wished I wouldn't !

8. weloveourchicks

Sep 15, 2008
    Virginia
    I think she is tired of me checking on her; she gives me that "look" [​IMG]

I have another hen that's become broody and if these two don't hatch my hubby isn't going to let us try anymore [​IMG] He said I'm driving him crazy worrying about them.

Susan

9. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    Quote:Their are so many BYCers who's spouse has said that and they end up addicted to it too.

Good luck with your eggs

10. weloveourchicks

Sep 15, 2008
    Virginia
    Well we came home today to a baby chick laying under Mrs. Camo [​IMG] [​IMG] Now we have questions -

1. We'd left the bantam mama hen in with the other chicks should we now move mom and baby to their own area?
    2. When do we start feeding the baby? It was just born today so they are still bonding and I've read they don't eat the first day but do we start giving feed tomorrow?

Any help is appreciated as this is our first time hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by